• Members 35 posts
    Dec. 21, 2023, 6:51 a.m.

Hello,

I currently have a consent solution installed where my CMP generates a cookie containing all the permitted services chosen by the user in the cookie banner. In GTM, I extract information from this cookie to create triggers for tags requiring these permissions.

If a service is enabled by the user, the corresponding tag fires, and analytics or advertising cookies are stored. If not, the tags do not fire. This approach allows me to comply with GDPR without using "consent mode" in GTM.

My question is: Is it necessary to enable consent mode for Google to understand that I have checked for user consent?

I'm concerned that, since I'm using regular triggers instead of the triggers from consent mode (e.g., ad_storage="granted" or analytics_store="granted"), Google and other tags may not recognize that the regular triggers represent user permission to enable cookies. Consequently, there's a worry that without configuring consent mode, GTM might default to denied values (e.g., ad_storage="denied" or analytics_store="denied").

To rephrase the last part: If I don't set up consent mode in GTM, will GTM assume default values like ad_storage="denied" or analytics_store="denied," resulting in incomplete tracking information being sent and the use of anonymous identifiers instead?

• Mod
    Dec. 21, 2023, 6:53 a.m.

Your understanding is on-point. As per Google's documentation, the "gcs" parameter serves to indicate the user's granted consent type. When consent mode is either not configured or not mandatory, the default setting for the parameter should be "gcs=100." This signifies that neither ad consent nor analytics consent has been granted.

To summarize:

• gcs=100: Ads consent not given and analytics consent not given (default when consent mode is not configured or not mandatory)
    • gcs=110: Ads consent given and analytics consent not given
    • gcs=101: Ads consent not given and analytics consent given
    • gcs=111: Ads consent given and analytics consent given

By incorporating this parameter in the request, you ensure that the information is utilized in accordance with the user's specified consent type.